Skip to main content

First Thursday: Block of the month 1

Sand & Sea


Evening Mist
I decided that enrolling in a Block of the Month Club would be a good hands on way for my teenage daughter to learn the skills needs for traditional quilting. She has created a couple of wall hanging in the past using free style sewing so she is not new to the machine. We had two color themes to choose from, Evening Mist and Sea and Sand. Evening Mist being darker colors and Sea and Sand having blues and browns. I let her decide which she wanted to do, I figured since purple was her favorite color she would pick the darker colors and I would get the blue that I love.......WRONG she said dark colors are depressing. So we left the quilt shop toting our plastic bags with our material and instructions inside of them. I have to say I am impressed. She worked on her block until it was completed and it looks wonderful, she had no problem at all sewing an accurate 1/4 inch and didn't have to rip anything out! Me on the other hand have been sewing for years and had to tear out twice. I have never used any material I didn't love before, so this block of the month will be a challenge for me to step out of the comfort zone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Diggity Dog I Took The Plunge!!

I ordered this TODAY!  The machine not the dog, but wouldn't it be wonderful if it came with it! I just decided to DO IT and I am so excited about getting The Horizon into my studio. The store was out of stock so it had to be ordered but hopefully I will have it  by the end of this week! I think a studio make over is in order before it's arrival.

Quick Trip To The Sewing Store

I have been trying my hardest to avoid the sewing machine store because I just know that I will want the Janome Horizon 7700. Well I went to a jewelry store that was having a pandora event (why doesn't Pandora have a sewing machine or spool of thread or more artsy charms?) and what do you know....the store was in the complex that is home to my favorite sewing machine shop. I HAD to stop...I HAD TO. I walked in an my eyes were immediately drawn to the beauty of the red Horizon. I was hoping that the demonstration would not be as good as it was, I know that sounds terrible, I didn't want to WANT this machine. However I do want it. The only thing that probably saved me from taking it home was when I walked into the shop there were only 20 minuets left till closing time. The machine is $3000.00 which to me is "steep" however, if I traded my beloved 4800qc in it would bring it down to $2199.00 plus tax of course. I have been thinking about this for several days. Thinking a