Skip to main content

Been away for SO long!

I'm back! Hopefully for good :) been dealing with yet another sinus issue. It really has been my downfall this year. The studio has still been buzzing, just not as loud. A new year is RIGHT around the corner and I am confident good things will happen!  Me and my daughter are playing catch up on our Quilt Of The Month blocks but I will post pictures as soon as they are done. The building that my studio is located in (also the home of several other artist studios) hosts a Christmas show each December a lot goes on that night, huge crowds, art for sale, open studios, gallery exhibits, food and beverages and live entertainment. They also have an after hours party....but I have never been able to stay up that late for it! Here is a glimpse of the outside of my studio.
Oxygen Blues
 This piece I have hanging on my studio door. It is a mixed media piece consisting of wool, fibers and beading. This is my first project that I incorporated needle felting into. I have to say that I really did enjoy the whole process from start to finish and will be exploring more with this technique.



Color Explosion
Stella

Here we have one of my favorite art quilts, this consists of all 100 percent cotton material and has accent quilting. The gal you see to the right is a little art doll. She is made from muslin which was stuffed and painted with acrylic paints, then sanded. It is amazing how this technique makes the muslin feel like soft aged leather. A primitive needle sculpted nose, some waxed thread strands for hair and mixed buttons for the eyes. It was tedious work trying to turn the arms and legs, ( I even have the little tool that helps you, but threw out the directions by accident so it wasn't much help) I won't lie, she ended up on the studio floor a few times for a time out! I only have so much patience :) I wish there was a local art doll making class that I could sign up for. I am sure I would really enjoy learning all the little tips and tricks. I plan on making more dolls in the future......maybe art voodoo dolls!

Cosmic Garden
Growing Wild
Positively
Negative


I should have taken individual pictures of each piece :( to the left I have hanging Cosmic Garden, this was all free hand cut out, the fabric was backed with an adhesive then iron all together and stitched. I find it so liberating to work this way. Next to that piece is Growing Wild this quilt was my first attempt at raw edge art quilting and I can't begin to tell you how hard it was for me to Just Do It, not having to worry about pieces matching up or turning the edges under, well honestly I fretted over it about 5 minuets then just jumped right in. I still enjoy traditional quilting with all of it's rules, it is wonderful to finish a block and press it and have all the corners meet up and be perfect,
however, it is breathtaking and cleansing to just do what you want to do and put what you want where you want it and who cares about the raw edges, it just gives the piece more character. That is my experience anyways and where my art is today.

Under Growing Wild you will see two mixed media pieces Positively and Negative. I find it easier for me to work with smaller pieces when I am experimenting with techniques that are fairly new to me. These two mixed media pieces consist of fabric, netting, various different yarns, Angelina Fibers and glass beading. I enjoyed every aspect from start to finish making these two pieces. I love the sparkle that the Angelina Fibers make and the texture that the beads create. I have several other projects that I am working on that are based upon these techniques I will post them when they are finished.

Meadows Past

This is the same technique as Cosmic Garden I entitled it Meadows Past. I am not sure if it was the flowers or the colors that brought back memories long ago, being young, in love and spending the afternoon laying in the meadow being encased with wild flowers. Ahh if life could be so carefree now!

Sessions In Life

Two mixed media pieces, both done on 12 x 12 wood lots of stuff going on here. acrylic paint, paper, prisma color pencils, glitter lets just say anything that was found laying on the art table was game here! I had so much FUN making these pieces! No rules just did what I wanted, didn't have an idea planned, just went with it and this was the outcome. Hung with office binder clips and satin ribbon, I thought the paper butterflies fitted with the theme of things.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Diggity Dog I Took The Plunge!!

I ordered this TODAY!  The machine not the dog, but wouldn't it be wonderful if it came with it! I just decided to DO IT and I am so excited about getting The Horizon into my studio. The store was out of stock so it had to be ordered but hopefully I will have it  by the end of this week! I think a studio make over is in order before it's arrival.

Quick Trip To The Sewing Store

I have been trying my hardest to avoid the sewing machine store because I just know that I will want the Janome Horizon 7700. Well I went to a jewelry store that was having a pandora event (why doesn't Pandora have a sewing machine or spool of thread or more artsy charms?) and what do you know....the store was in the complex that is home to my favorite sewing machine shop. I HAD to stop...I HAD TO. I walked in an my eyes were immediately drawn to the beauty of the red Horizon. I was hoping that the demonstration would not be as good as it was, I know that sounds terrible, I didn't want to WANT this machine. However I do want it. The only thing that probably saved me from taking it home was when I walked into the shop there were only 20 minuets left till closing time. The machine is $3000.00 which to me is "steep" however, if I traded my beloved 4800qc in it would bring it down to $2199.00 plus tax of course. I have been thinking about this for several days. Thinking a