Skip to main content

How my love for sewing began.

 I have a bunny to thank for my love of sewing. We were at a family gathering and I saw this bunny doll fully clothed sitting on a bench I was instantly 'in love" I needed to know more. I was told that it was handmade from a pattern that I could buy at Jo-Ann fabrics. The next day I loaded all the kids in the van and headed to the fabric store! I bought the pattern and my mother in law bought me a Sears sewing machine (rest in peace) with the exception that I make her a bunny. How could I say no? She got the first bunny, boy was he a mess! One leg was on backwards, one arm was inside out, he had a crooked face and one ear was shorter than the other, but I LOVED him. It was hard to hand him over. If I can remember correctly everyone got a well dressed bunny doll that year for Christmas. I am not bragging but I got really good at making them. I also made 4 colorful bunnies for each one of my children then put their favorite baby outfit on them. I was hooked on sewing! I sewed crafts and home decor for years.

 Years later I decided to take a quilting class and I remember my instructor Pat coming up to me and saying "it really doesn't have to be this hard, all you need is a better machine." why didn't I think of that! That is when I began my relationship with the Janome 4800QC. From the moment I took it home I was in love with this machine. I remember setting it up on the dining room table and the kids would flock around it and just stare. My youngest kept saying  "WOW" and my oldest said "I hope she isn't going to try to make shorts for me again because I WON'T wear them!" My husband came home and said "how much did that cost?" to this day he still does not know. I am still sewing with this machine and very happy with it. I am however, intrigued by the Janome Horizon that made it's debut last year. I have not yet been to the store to see it in person but it does have some features I am interested in.

My love of sewing still continues to live strong within me, I began quilting and love it. I have recently began moving in the direction of art quilts. I am having so much fun making these small to medium size works of art. Pictures are soon to come!

Comments

  1. Bunnies are changing the world!
    How long have you actually had this machine? It's amazing that the quality of machine would have so much to do with a sewing experience. Of course, I'm an artist -- and a good pencil is better than a good man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bunnies ARE changing the world! It is amazing what quality can do. I always thought a sewing machine was a sewing machine, definently not the case. I have had my machine for about 9 years now it is amazing how simple it was to produce a quarter inch seam WITH even stitching right out of the box! One thing I had to struggle with constantly with my first machine, that and the machine ALWAYS jamming. How frustrating it is when you are in a creative sewing frenzy and your machine keeps jamming. I would imagine it being close to you sketching but each time the lead hits the paper it breaks. I handed my old machine down to my daughter but quickly found out that her frustration was MY frustration still. The old machine was then used strictly for sewing on paper for cards and scrapbook pages and my daughter is now the proud owner of a Janome Decor model.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Diggity Dog I Took The Plunge!!

I ordered this TODAY!  The machine not the dog, but wouldn't it be wonderful if it came with it! I just decided to DO IT and I am so excited about getting The Horizon into my studio. The store was out of stock so it had to be ordered but hopefully I will have it  by the end of this week! I think a studio make over is in order before it's arrival.

Quick Trip To The Sewing Store

I have been trying my hardest to avoid the sewing machine store because I just know that I will want the Janome Horizon 7700. Well I went to a jewelry store that was having a pandora event (why doesn't Pandora have a sewing machine or spool of thread or more artsy charms?) and what do you know....the store was in the complex that is home to my favorite sewing machine shop. I HAD to stop...I HAD TO. I walked in an my eyes were immediately drawn to the beauty of the red Horizon. I was hoping that the demonstration would not be as good as it was, I know that sounds terrible, I didn't want to WANT this machine. However I do want it. The only thing that probably saved me from taking it home was when I walked into the shop there were only 20 minuets left till closing time. The machine is $3000.00 which to me is "steep" however, if I traded my beloved 4800qc in it would bring it down to $2199.00 plus tax of course. I have been thinking about this for several days. Thinking a